Kerby talk about the history of Golden, Oregon on NBC KOBI/KOTI
Historical Marker erected by Josehine County Historical Society at Golden,
a very brief account of the town's history. It reads:
Established in 1890, this mining town was unique in Western Annals in that
it had two chuches
no saloons. The miners went to Placer on Grave Creek for 'refreshments'.
William Ruble, leader of a group commonly known as "Campbellites" built
the church in 1892. He
ordained and the church simultaneously dedicated by county Judge Stephen
Jewell. Shortly afterward
became the Free Methodist Church. Another group led by Rev. Mark Davis
used the schoolhouse for
services. Both ministers worked local mining claims.
activity on Coyote Creek began in the 1850's. Abandoning these claims during
the Idaho Gold Rush of
the men returned to find them being worked by about five hundred Chinese
for ten cents a day plus rice.
Chinese contractor yielded possession.
and one-half mile pipeline supplied water for the 'giants' (hydraulic nozzles)
resulting in the recovery
one and one-half million dollars (in gold) in the next few years.
Josephine County School Superintendent, Lincoln Savage, traveled by train
from Grants Pass to Wolf
rode his bicycle to Golden, and continued to the Greenback Mine by Tramway
to visit the schools.
Gilkey and Edith Allen were among the early teachers. As late as 1906,
there were still thirty-six
in this school."
Community Church at Golden, Oregon. Built in 1892 and although a bit rustic
looking, the Golden Community Church
actually well maintained (note the glass windows and modern stove pipe)
and is completely restored on the inside.
the congregation has long since gone.
next to the church is a tiny "cemetery" of closely clustered grave markers.
nobody is actually buried here. Most people don't know it, but these little
wooden headstones are actually
props from an episode of "Gunsmoke" that was filmed at Golden.
a few of Golden's former citizens have memorials here.
seems that the hearts of at least a few former residents were drawn back
to this lonely place.
old Ruble residence at Golden, Oregon leans precariously toward collapse
was built in 1894 and the Rubles lived here off and on until 1910. A family
by the name of Forsythe later
here, starting in 1911 and installed rudimentary electricity, but not indoor
the passage of time has already taken its toll.
showing its age and decades of neglect.
nothing will remain but a loose pile of rotting lumber.
Golden Grain Shed at Golden, Oregon, which was likely a tack and animal
the forest is attempting to swallow.
Bennett Store at Golden, Oregon. Built around 1900, this building was also
the post office, but closed in 1920.
is not exactly booming in Golden, Oregon.
more info. about Golden, Oregon, please visit: www.historicgolden.org
Photos Are Copyright 2008 by Kerby Jackson.
may however, reproduce these photos on your website free of charge provided
that you credit them and link back to this site)